Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Hayes Gray and Underway

Wow - after 24 years of being in the Navy and serving in various capacities, including four shipboard deployments, has given me a great respect for the sailors that deploy onboard US Navy ships.  I recently spent 12 days underway on the USS Bonhomme Richard (LHD6), http://www.lhd6.navy.mil/. However, the difference this time is that I am now retired, and went as a civilian.  It brought back a lot of memories and gave me an opportunity to share some 'sea' stories with some of the younger sailors.  I do not miss the shipboard life though, even with today's standards and advances in technology, it is still challenging to communicate (on a regular basis) with loved ones.  There is email and they do have the ability to place phone calls underway (when the system is up), which is much better than the 'snail' mail (a.k.a letters) of my generation.

If you are interested in seeing a few more photos from the trip click on this link

 

No comments: