Sunday, July 20, 2008

Summer Blast


For the first year my two youngest will be attending Vacation Bible School for the first time. Shadow Mountain is doing their Summer Blast program starting tomorrow and both Katie and Kassie are looking forward to going. It is hard to believe that we are already past the midway point of the summer season, with the month of August looming on the horizon.

As I kid I remember the summers and how they seemed to stretch on forever - when you grow up on a working farm that is self-reliant there is a tremendous amount of work to do, even more when there is no school. I do miss haying season sometimes, not for the hard work, sweat, being covered in hay chaff, or forearms that looked like they went through cheese graters but for the bonding. Not too mention the self-sense of pride of being able to work a 14 hour day slinging hay and feeling good at the end knowing that I accomplished something. Or maybe it was for those late night dips in the lake to cool off before going to bed.

VBS has a special place in my life as I spent several summers attending VBS and in the summer of 1977 I became saved. I still carry my VBS card, from that year, in my Bible - My 'Stand-up and Shout' card.

1 comment:

berrypatch said...

My boys did VBS a couple weeks ago. They love VBS & were disappointed they couldn't go to the one at our regular church this year. They made me promise to find one they COULD go to! They had such a great time each year. I hope the girls do too!